Monday, September 07, 2009

Antietam


The single bloodiest day in U.S. history occurred in western Maryland on September 17, 1862. The battle of Antietam lasted one day with a casualty count of 23,000 soldiers. We are told that between the hours of 6 am and 10 am a man went down every second during the back and forth struggle for the 24 acre "cornfield". One brigade from Louisiana (Gen. Hay's) saw 60 percent casualties in thirty minutes. It is said that every stalk of corn was shredded to the ground by weapons fire.
I was drawn to Antietam this weekend at the invitation of distant (here- to-fore unknown) cousins for a family reunion of sorts. Through my genealogy research I recently learned that my Mother's Great grandfather (my Great-Great Grandfather) fought at Antietam as a member of the 124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry. As a part of the 12th Corps, the 124th was instrumental in capturing the "cornfield" section of the battle field. My distant third cousins were celebrating his legacy, we connected through a research website on the inter net. It was an honor and a thrill to be included and to meet "new" family members!

No comments: